- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet. Sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute to toast the spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chickpeas to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5-7 minutes, letting the flavors meld together.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir well. Let the curry simmer for an additional 10 minutes, allowing it to thicken slightly.
- Add the spinach leaves to the skillet and stir until wilted.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. If you prefer a spicier curry, you can add more red pepper flakes.
- Serve the chickpea and spinach curry over cooked rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
This hearty and flavorful chickpea meal is the perfect example of the incredible versatility of chickpeas. Enjoy the comforting blend of spices and the richness of coconut milk, all while savoring the goodness of these little legumes.
Remember, you can always customize this recipe by adding your favorite vegetables or adjusting the level of spiciness. Enjoy!