- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, cleaned and drained.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- (Adjust to taste) 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- For garnish, use freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly under cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Olive oil should be warmed up in a large pot over medium heat. Onion, carrots, and celery should all be chopped. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic, ground cumin, turmeric, paprika, ground coriander, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf. Cook for one to two more minutes, or until fragrant.
Cook Lentils and Broth:
- Add the rinsed lentils to the pot. Pour in the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes (with their juices). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat after bringing the soup to a boil. When the lentils are done, cover the pot and boil the soup for 25 to 30 minutes.
Add Greens and Lemon Juice:
- Stir in the chopped spinach or kale and let it wilt into the soup. Remove the bay leaf. Lemon juice can be added to brighten the flavors.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or spices if needed.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls. Add freshly chopped parsley or cilantro as a garnish.
- Serve the vegan lentil soup with some crusty bread or a side salad for a complete meal.
you can add bell peppers or zucchini and the seasonings to your choice, Take pleasure in your filling Best Vegan Lentil Soup!